6.15.2009

2007 Alexan Collegian Mural Contest, 1st Place Winner

Out of submissions by Colorado undergraduates, three finalists were chosen to paint their proposed murals on the inside walls of the fairly new Alexan CityCenter in Englewood, CO... each muralist had roughly 45 days to complete their mural, a dimension of 30 ft. x 10 ft.

I wish I had more photos of the mural... keep meaning to go back and take more pictures. I researched and photographed about 50 key locations in Englewood that had either public art or art & recreational ammenities & events, and included more than half of those references in the mural proposal (and final painting). The panorama was of Englewood and as you walked down the hall you could see the changing of the seasons occur throughout the mural. It's a slender hall and you can't really see the mural all at once; the photo tells the story.

On top of four other classes and a job and the Drawsome organization, I would go here at night and work late late late. I was a slave to this project. On the reception night I got first place, and the funny giant check to go with it. And I think I gave a half-drunk acceptance schpeel on public art and community engagement and education and what-not... whatever man, they clapped.