8.05.2009

Multimedia performance Steady Decline (New Religion), 2009

The fully installed church, located in a warehouse for the Antithesis Exhibition on May 1, 2009, was a piece that explored the repercussions of addictions to online social networking sites through the lens of instituionalized religious practices. Video projections involved animated emoticons (icons) interspersed with snapshots of my facebook contacts' status updates. I did 4 different performances/rituals throughout the opening night - mostly appropriated from my memory of Catholic mass as a child - where I paid homage to the icons/emoticons/prophets of a new religion, blessed myself and the church-goers with water, beer, bubbles, silly string, pringles, and candy. Gregorian chanting played in the church throughout the night.
: \